1. Change the sentences according to directions. 1×10=10
a) We should make the habit of reading books to learn knowledge. (Compound)
b) The books written by famous writters are a great source of increasing our knowledge. (Complex)
c) Nobody get perfection in life if he does not raed the books written by great writers. (Simple)
d) Books should be read to remove ignorance. (Active)
e) To make the society civilized, there is no alternative to read books. (Interrogative)
f) Books are called men’s best friends. (Active)
g) Reading book is more important than any other habit. (Positive)
h) It guides a man to the right path. (Passive)
i) We should read books with a view to aquiring knowledge. (Complex)
j) Only reading books can increase man’s intellect satisfactorily. (Negative)
2. Complete the following sentences. 1×5=5
a) We must study hard in order that — .
b) Had I the wings of a bird — .
c) Five years passed since — .
d) Scarcely had the party begun — .
e) The more you read — .
(a) — (friend) is a strong (b) — (bond). It does not know (c) — (differ) between religion and countries, between the rich and the poor, between the black and the white and so on. It is an (d) — (emotion) attachment based on mutual trust and understanding. In that sense, a friend is both (e) — (rely) and (f) — (believe) who is ready to help us in any (g) — (danger) situation. Therefore the person who does not have a good friend is really (h) — (fortune). He is (i) — (total) deprive of enjoying the (j) — (please) of friendship.
4. Make tag questions of these sentences. 1×5=5
a) Nobody trust a liar, — ?
b) A liar has to lead a miserable life, — ?
c) Speaking the truth is a good exercise, — ?
d) Everybody should have the habit of speaking the truth, — ?
e) Let us always speak the truth, — ?
5. Complete the passage using suitable connectors. 1×5=5
Corruption has become a part and parcel of our life. (a) — no office work is done without corruption. People has taken it as an acceptable practice. (b) — this evil practice should be stopped. (c) — government is strict, it will be possible. (d) — some corrupt officials have been punished, it has not been evicted from government offices. (e) — it must be eradicated at any cost.
6. Use capitals and punctuation marks where necessary in the following text. 5
my friend said to me why are you sitting alone in your room at this hour don’t see the sky has cleared let’s go for a walk in the open field i said angrily leave me alone
1. a) We want to learn knowledge and so we should make the habit of reading books.
b) The books which are written by the famous writers are a great source of increasing our knowledge.
c) Nobody gets perfection in life without reading the books written by great writers.
d) We should read books to remove ignorance.
e) Is there any alternative to reading books to make the society civilized?
f) The wise call books man’s best friend.
g) No other habit is so important as reading books.
h) A man is guided to the right path by it.
i) We should read books so that we can acquire knowledge.
j) Nothing but reading books can increasing man’s intellect satisfactorily.
2. a) We must study hard in order that we can cut a good figure in the exam.
b) Had I the wings of a bird, I could fly in the sky.
c) Five years passed since I had seen him in Dhaka.
d) Scarcely had the party begun when it began to rain.
e) The more you read, the more you learn.
3. (a) friendship; (b) bonding; (c) difference; (d) emotional; (e) reliable; (f) believable; (g) dangerous; (h) unfortunate; (i) totally; (j) pleasure
4. a) Nobody trust a liar, do they?
b) A liar has to lead a miserable life, hasn’t he?
c) Speaking the truth is a good exercise, isn’t it?
d) Everybody should have the habit of speaking the truth, shouldn’t they?
e) Let us always speak the truth, shall we?
5. (a) at present; (b) but; (c) if; (d) though; (e) however
6. My friend said to me, `Why are you sitting alone in your room at this hour? Don’t see the sky has cleared? Let’s go for a walk in the open field.’ I said angrily, `Leave me alone.’