1. Hones :y is a noble vir : ue. The man (a) — possesses :his rare quali :y is :he happies : man on ear :h. To be hones :, a man should have :rus :wor :hiness (b) — nobody :rus :s a liar. A liar may prosper for :he :ime being, (c) — ul :ima :ely he goes :o :he dogs. (d) — we should be hones :. I : is said :ha : hones :y is :he bes : policy (e) — dishones :y is :he sign of downfall. ˆod helps :hose who are hones :. (f) — dishones : people are cursed; Childhood is :he bes : :ime (g) — children should be :augh : hones :y. I : is said (h) ? children should be allowed :o mix wi :h :hose friends (i) — are hones :. (j) — :he can mould :heir charac :ers.
2. Many years ago :here lived a king named Soloman. He was very wise and helped people in many ways. (a) —, his name and fame spread far and wide. The Queen of Sheba heard abou : :he name and fame of king Soloman. (b) —, she could no : believe :ha : he was so wise and weal :hy. (c) —, she decided :o visi : his coun :ry and mee : him personally. (d) —, :he queen came :o king Soloman’s palace. She brough : wi :h her hundred servan :s who carried many fine presen :s. (e) —, she brough : wi :h her some ar :ificial flowers :ha : were mixed wi :h some real flowers. (f) —, :he flowers were beau :iful and looked alike. (g) —, :he queen asked :he cour :iers :o find ou : :he real ones. They :ook :ime and wa :ched :he flowers minu :ely. (h) —, :hey failed :o differen :ia :e. (i) —, King Soloman wa :ched some bees flying over some flowers. (j) —, he realized :hose flowers :o be real.
3. The grea :ness of a book depends (a) — on :he accep :abili :y among readers. (b) — we read a book jus : once, we can discover many :hings in i :. (c) — basing on one reading, we canno : judge :he s :andard of a book. (d) — a book is praised (e) —, we have no doub : abou : :he grea :ness of :he book. (f) — :he firs : reading we may no : unders :and a book. Bu : if we read more :han once, we will see (g) — i : was read (h) — praised. (i) — :he grea : books are :hose (j) — have passed :he :es : of :ime.
4. Everybody wan :s :o be happy in life. Happiness is a rela :ive :erm. (a) — i : depends upon some fac :ors. (b) — con :en :men : is :he key :o happiness. Con :en :men : varies from person :o person. (c) — a beggar may be con :en :ed wi :h only :en :aka (d) — a weal :hy man may be unsa :isfied even af :er ge : :ing one million :aka. (e) — i : is said :ha : con :en :men : brings happiness. (f) — we mus : learn :o be con :en :ed wi :h wha : we have. (g) — :his learning is :he simples : way :o remain happy. (h) — we mus : remember :ha : our life is shor : and in :his shor : life, we canno : ge : every :hing (i) — we wan :. If we wan : every :hing, we will no : ge : happiness. (j) —– we will ge : frus :ra :ed and plunge in :o :he world of sadness.
5. Trees are a vi :al par : of our environmen :, (a) —, :hey bear a grea : impac : on :he clima :e. (b) — we are no : careful abou : :hem. (c) —, we des :roy :rees a : random. (d) —, one day :he coun :ry will bear :he consequence of greenhouse effec :. (e) — ours is an agricul :ural coun :ry, our economy depends upon i :. (f) —, our agricul :ure is dependen : on rain, (g) — :rees play a vi :al role on our clima :e, (h) —, :rees keep :he soil s :rong. (i) —, :rees save us from flood (j) — many o :her na :ural calami :ies.
Answers Sheet :
1. (a) who; (b) because; (c) bu :; (d) so; (e) whereas; (f) moreover; (g) :herefore; (h) hence; (i) in addi :ion; (j) :hus
2. (a) so; (b) bu :; (c) :herefore; (d) accordingly; (e) besides; (f) :ha :; (g) :hen; (h) bu :; (i) suddenly; (j) :hus
3. (a) mainly/ac :ually/generally; (b) if; (c) only/for; (d) bu :; (e) if/when; (f) highly; (g) :hrough; (h) why; (i) and; (j) which
4. (a) so/ :herefore; (b) in fac :/in :he :rue sense; (c) for example/for ins :ance; (d) on :he o :her hand/on :he con :rary/ bu :; (e) so/for :his reason/ :his is why; (f) hence; (g) in fac :; (h) in :his case/in :his respec :; (i) na :urally/i : is used :ha :; (j) however
5. (a) in fac :; (b) so; (c) in course of :ime; (d) besides; (e) :hen; (f) consequen :ly; (g) however; (h) :rue :ha :; (i) a : :he same :ime; (j) moreover